Network Security Engineer
About the Job
Reporting to the VP of Engineering, this is a highly technical role, providing post-sales on-site support of Junipers, Ruckus, Aerohive, Aruba, Cisco and the like products. The Advanced Services Contract Resident Engineer will be required to develop and maintain an expertise on the products deployed within the Customers network.
This is a 40 hour per week position, on-site, at the customer location and may require additional work hours and on-call support for critical issues which will be compensated for with Comp time.
- To hold network information gathering workshops with the Customer to understand the Customer’s existing network design and technical requirements of new network designs.
- To understand the Customer’s organizational structure and become familiar with the Customer’s network implementation and support processes and procedures to help in supporting a network that is available and sustainable.
- To carry out testing of new Designs, features, and functionality as required by the Customer in a laboratory environment and to help develop plans to implement and verify that they are operating correctly in the live network
- To test patches and fixes to operating software and to ensure that they are implemented and functioning correctly in the pre-production test network and then live network as implementation plans dictate.
- To troubleshoot equipment and network problems and to open and track JTAC cases through to problem resolution on pre and post production issues.
- To raise equipment Return Material Authorizations (RMA’s) and to track these through to problem resolution
- To produce a written summary report of the status of Design projects, equipment and network problems on a regular basis to the Customer
- To hold technology workshops with the Customer to discuss equipment and network problems, and to provide case status updates, including the reasons for any problems encountered and the workarounds and/or solutions that are being tried
- To train the Customer’s design, implementation and support personnel to configure and operate the Juniper Networks products
- To assist the Customer to develop Network Operating and Equipment Operating Procedures
- Support production environment of Juniper products within the Customer infrastructure
- Support ongoing efforts in defining best practice policies for Juniper product applications used by Customer
- The Resident Engineer is expected to peer with other employees performing similar resident engineering roles where lessons learned may help minimize risk associated with major network upgrades or changes in the network.
The Engineer will be expected to develop secondary skills in other products in the customer product portfolio.
Candidates for this role MUST have a minimum 5 years experience providing implementation and technical support of networking products in LAN, WAN, or Internet services environments.
Candidates for this role MUST be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Detailed technical experience in the installation and operation of IP routers. This includes hands-on operation of management tools and network analyzers.
- A detailed understanding of the protocols surrounding IP networks. These skills should generally include: a. TCP/IP fundamentals, b. IP subnetting and supernetting and hierarchical routing principles, c. Routing protocol operation (OSPF and BGP), d. Routing policies at BGP peering points, e. VPNs and the associated tunneling technologies (L2TP, MPLS, etc.) Switching, spanning tree and other switching technology as required, Firewalls and associated technologies as required
- Strong Interpersonal skills
- The ability to function in a team environment.
- Hands-on configuration and operational knowledge of Juniper Networks router and firewall and switching products
The ideal candidate for this role will be able to demonstrate the following competencies:
- 7-10+ years experience in managing large technical account activity revolving around network products from multiple vendors.
- Support Client’s migration from legacy Ericsson and ALU IP aggregators to MX-based solution.
- Ability to Migrate Client’s current DC elements in SAT location to connect to MX/QFX platforms.
- Experience with HQoS and BGP MPLS L3 VPN will be required.
- Experience in mobility IP backhaul environments and understanding LTE signaling/standards will be required.
- Troubleshooting skillets are required
Additional important tasks include:
- Client LAB Validation
- Creation of LAB Test Plans
- Creation of Test Results Reports including Alarm and OM Validation.
- Network Planning and Design
- Design Requirements Document (DRD)
- Generation of master step-by-step migration MOP document
- Generation of Golden configurations
- FIT Test Plan
- Production (Post-FIT) test plan
- Site installation MOP
- Site specific MOP (FIT and Production)
- Site specific migration & integration document
- Knowledge transfer is very key for the customer and will also be an important responsibility for the Engineers.
- All Certifications, JNCIA, JNCIS, JNCIP, JNCIE, CCNP, CCIE a strong plus
- Nice to have: prior experience with scripting or programming languages including Python, SLAX, and NETCONF, and experience with automation frameworks such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or others.
Specific technologies used in this project:
- ACX qualification work.
- MPLS TE
- MPLS L3 VPNs
- MPLS L2 VPNs
- Routing Policy
- Ethernet Switching
- Spanning Tree (RSTP, MSTP, PVST)
- VLAN Tag Manipulation